What to do if you are a victim of employment abuse

Your job is one of the most important components of your life. If you have been wrongfully terminated, sexually harassed or not paid the money you were promised, you need an employment abuse attorney now. To learn more about your rights as an employee, read this pamphlet provided by the California State Bar.

If you have any questions about employment abuse, call us at (800) 210-2104 and speak with an attorney right now who can help you with your case. There is no charge to speak with an attorney. We are a State Bar Certified Referral Service (LRS#130) and you never pay for any of the services we offer.

There are many different employment laws in California. State Bar Certified Higher Legal can help you in these specific employment areas:

Wrongful Termination

Were you fired for an improper reason? California is an ‘at-will’ employment state. That generally means your employer can fire you at any time, even for no good reason. But, there are exceptions to this rule which make some terminations ‘wrongful’ or improper under California law. If you are part of a ‘protected class’ and you were fired because of your “race, religion, color, national origin, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation” you may have a case for wrongful termination.

Sexual Harassment:

Were you sexually harassed? If you believe you have been sexually harassed at work, you should immediately do the following:

  • Document the dates and details of each occurrence. Keep all texts, photos, receipts, emails or notes received from the harasser. The hardest part of a sexual harassment case is being able to prove the harassment happened. If it is just your word against the harasser you may not be able to prove your case. Write down the names of anyone who you believe will testify on your behalf about the sexual harassment.

  • Tell the harasser to stop his or her behavior.

  • Tell your supervisor or human resources representative.

  • Get a copy of your employer's sexual harassment policy.

  • Contact Higher Legal to speak with a California attorney about your rights.


Were you wrongfully discriminated against? California law also prohibits employers from discriminating against employees based on their race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability or medical condition, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, and pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions. These laws apply to employers who employ five (5) or more employees, but it excludes employees who are employed by their parents, spouse, or child, or a religious association or corporation not organized for private profit. Cal. Gov. Code 12926(d).

Wage and Hour Abuse

Did your employer fail to pay you what you are owed? Failure to pay proper wages or to provide benefits is one of the fastest growing violations of employee rights in California. These cases usually arise from:

  • Failure to pay you the current minimum wage;

  • Failure to pay your overtime;

  • Failure to count all the hours you worked;

  • Failure to allow you the required meals and breaks; or

  • Purposely misclassifying you in order to pay you less.

As a State Bar LRS, Higher Legal is dedicated to protecting your rights. Be careful what you sign if you are terminated from your job! You should consult with an attorney before signing a severance agreement, release of claims, non-compete, or any other documents.

If your employer asks you to sign any documents, take the papers and tell them you will have them looked over by an attorney. The employer will likely take you more seriously once they know you have taken the time to be educated about your rights. Documents like severance agreements, and like most other contracts, are negotiable and the employer may be willing to pay you more if you simply ask the right question. Some people who have been terminated worry about “burning a bridge” by negotiating a severance agreement. This may be a valid concern in certain circumstances, however a skilled employment attorney can include language in your severance agreement that helps you such as language that prohibits the employer from making any disparaging remarks about you to anyone, including any future or prospective employers.

Higher Legal is certified by the California State Bar (LRS #130) so you can trust the information you receive from Higher Legal is the most reliable legal information available and has met the strictest standards of the State Bar. You can call us at (800) 210-2104, or fill out this form and a licensed California attorney will get back to you within the next business day.

For an excellent Employment Abuse Attorney in Culver City, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Woodland Hills, San Gabriel, El Monte, Whittier, Baldwin Park, Alhambra, Norwalk, Pomona, Long Beach, Torrance, Glendale, Pasadena or any surrounding area contact Higher Legal.

Contact Us · Facebook · Blog · Terms of Use · Privacy Policy · State Bar Complaint Notices

© Higher Legal™ is a FREE certified referral service of the California State Bar that helps people with legitimate personal injury cases find great personal injury lawyers and then monitors their cases from "Start to Finish". Higher Legal™ has a pre-approved panel of the very best personal injury lawyers in the industry who are required to adhere to strict California State Bar standards. We are not your lawyer, and we don't provide legal advice, but we use our 25 years of personal injury experience to help you find the most outstanding personal injury lawyer you can get. Higher Standards, Higher Ethics and Higher Results. That is the Higher Legal™ pledge.